Cancer Prevention Study-3 (CPS-3) Coming
Cancer is a word heard too often both here at Tuomey and in our community. That is why we are fighting back against this disease with our long-time partner – the American Cancer Society – by encouraging you to consider taking part in the Cancer Prevention Study-3 (CPS-3).
The ultimate goal of CPS-3 is to enroll men and women from various racial/ethnic backgrounds from across the U.S. to participate in a study that will help researchers better understand the lifestyle, environmental and genetic factors that cause or prevent cancer and will save lives.
American Cancer Society studies began in the 1950s and involved hundreds of thousands of volunteer participants. These studies have led to discoveries such as the link between cigarette smoking and lung cancer and the role obesity plays in the risk of several cancers. The new CPS-3 will help researchers build on evidence from previous studies, and help bring us closer to eliminating cancer as a major health burden for this and future generations.
We encourage you to take part in this opportunity if you are qualified.
If you are between the ages of 30 and 65 years old and have never been diagnosed with cancer, you are eligible to enroll.
Enrollment will be available at Northside Memorial Baptist Church located at 1004 North Main Street, on April 21, 2012, from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Appointments can be made by logging on to: www.seeuthere.com/CPS3enroll/SumterSC
Participating is easy and involves the following:
- Read and sign an informed consent form.
- Complete a survey packet which will ask for detailed information on lifestyle, behavioral, and other factors related to your health.
- Be measured for waist circumference.
- Give a small blood sample (similar to a doctor’s visit). The blood sample is drawn by a trained, certified phlebotomist.
- Completing a mailed survey every few years over the next 20-30 years
- All personal information and any individual results of blood analyses that may be performed will be kept strictly confidential by CPS-3 research staff. There will be no cost to you to participate.
For more information about CPS-3, please visit cancer.org/cps3, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call toll-free 1.888.604.5888. Find us on Facebook at: Cancer Prevention Study 3 - Sumter County, South Carolina
This is our chance to fight back against a disease that takes too much. I hope you will all take part in this historic study, and encourage you to share this message with all those you know who want to join in this fight.
Chairperson for the Cancer Prevention Study 3 Enrollment